Tiny existence, bigger reality.

 

There's a bluebird in my heart
That wants to get out but I'm too tough for him
I say: "Stay in there
I'm not going to let anybody see you"
There's a bluebird in my heart
That wants to get out but I pour whiskey on him
and inhale cigarette smoke; and the whores
the bartenders, the grocery clerks
Never know that he is in there
There's a bluebird in my heart
That wants to get out but I'm too tough for him
I say: "Stay down. Do you wanna mess me up?
Do you wanna screw up the works?                                                                                                                                    
You want to blow my book sales in Europe?"
There's a bluebird in my heart
That wants to get out but I'm too clever
I only let him out at night sometimes
When everybody's asleep
I say: "I know that you're there
So, don't be so sad", 
Then I put him back but he's singing a little in there
I haven't quite let him die and we sleep together
like that with our secret pact
It's nice enough to make a man weep
But I don't weep, do you?

- Bluebird by Charles Bukowski

Comments

  1. I do weep. Often.
    Somedays I think I could cry a puddle big enough to drown people in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only the withdrawing from the Prednisone caused me to weep last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bluebird in my heart - thought-provoking and powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I think we all know this bluebird from time to time. Once we might have listened to the noble creature with a full heart and told it we'd never do that. Never..but as we get older and not so much wiser..we do. It's hard to face them sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not saying that Bukowski's wrong. I think that people fear to allow others to see their inner joy and wonder at life. Some are so dead inside that there is no wonder left in them and they're bitter, malignant, shells. The key to not becoming a bitter shell of a person is to love unconditionally, knowing that it may be turned against you - and loving all the same.

    Bukowski drank too much. It made him morose. Drugging yourself tends to silence the blue bird in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've enjoyed a handful of Bukowski's gruff, raw novels, but never any of his poetry. Shame he's not still around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite poems by Charles Bukowski. Its beautiful and deep, loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice enough to make a man weep
    But I don't weep, do you?

    A good close! A bluebird in all of us do often times rear its ugly head. It is good to give way to let off steam in rare moments.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment