Comfortable within my skin.

Teaching yourself to be fearless, to be infinite, to look beyond, not care about smallest of things, to love oneself sets one free of all that's not needed.
Letting go comes with time, to tell yourself to let go, takes something.
From living within all the discomfort, hatred, to today, where I love who I am, happiness is all I've gained.

Traveling gets you there.
Mother once narrated a story to me.
A proud king used to think that all in his kingdom were dependent, for what they were on him.
Out of his 7 daughters, the youngest disagreed and accepted that she was dependent upon herself for who she was.
This came to him as a dishonor, disowning the daughter he got her married to the most helpless man in his kingdom, one infected with leprosy, living beside a tree.
She accepted the same, took care of the husband. One day, to fetch him some drinking water, she took a vessel to the nearby pond. There she saw a crow diving in the water and coming out as a swan. She took the water in the vessel to her husband, he drank it and changed into a prince. He told her that he was the prince of the biggest kingdom in the world and had been cursed with the worst, however for making him recovered, he now owed his life to her. She was taken as the new queen and loved beyond measure. 
Her husband's kingdom started annexing nearby regions, and subsequently one of the kings of the annexed kingdom was brought to seek pardon in front of her husband.
It turned out that the king was her father. 
He accepted that all through, she was dependent on herself. 


Independence is a state of mind, she told me.
I owe who I am, to my mother and myself.


Thank you for contributing to who I am today. 

Comments

  1. Nobody's inner self is dependent on anyone in this world :) Though some people leave a sculpting impact on us, like your mother for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your post contradicts itself..on one side you say...she was dependent upon herself for who she was...on the other hand you you owe ur self to ur mother...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother taught me to be self made.
      So I owe who I am to her and myself.

      Delete
    2. Lovely observation by Renu. Though contradictory, people who make you , never own you, they let you free. And in that relationship we enjoy being independent and still closest to them. :3

      Life's just like that.

      Lovely post, Assassin. :D

      Delete
  3. This was insightful!!
    I wish magic happened with me too :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful ... yes we are independent but it is true, we need to remember that although we can rise above our trials, it helps so much more that anyone believes in us and helps us to believe in ourselves... fabulous post as always :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so beautiful, and so true x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of great introspection here. I truly believe that we define our own inner-self. It's the one thing we have complete control over :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the story. I hope one day I can learn to be dependent on myself.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is no better freedom known than being on yourself..

    ReplyDelete
  9. That story and the lovely little moral that came along.. Truly, being dependent on oneself is like eradicating almost half of the sorrow which one might experience, if dependent on others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Independence is the best...to survive on your own, to depend on no one, to answer no one... when this happens, you can rule.... nothing tastes as sweet as such freedom.
    Beautiful post

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just like the bead tied in a string, we are all, I believe, small n big n different-hued beads helping, mending, supporting each other to form something unique and inimitable…

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful. We are indeed independent when we make our own choices or accept our situations and work with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. State of mind indeed. This post was thought inducing! And that story was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The mind is always my biggest obstacle, I need to learn to trust myself more.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so beautifully written and so true. Independence brings freedom---releasing us from depending on others and avoiding disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's such a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. so insightful and awesome
    keep intouch
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is so much we could learn from our own minds if we jaut let go. Love the story and love your eloquence!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment