The Birthday.

January 20th, a few years ago.

The day would begin with a rather delighted insight and lot of happiness in my head. S's birthday was equivalent to my birthday. He was my best friend. More than that sometimes. Growing up right beside him from the time we started off with the scratches meant he was practically family. He would come by the morning, refreshened, touch my parents feet, like we do to elders as a mark of respect and pretend as if he didn't care if I didn't remember that it was his birthday today. I never wished him until I felt it was the right time to wish him, pretending as if I had completely forgotten about this day. He'd try and give away every possible hint to make me realize how special it was a day for him, I tried to behave like every effort of him failed. One year, I made him angry enough to be in tears, not talking to him at all, we were probably ten or twelve back then. Being his best friend, I always knew what he wanted the most on his birthdays, I made sure I had what made him happy.Opening the gifts together, was the most cherishable memory we shared together. It lasted each year, where we recollected the stories of the past years' gifts and the significant change in what he received as the years grew by.


 20th January 2009.


The last birthday he got to celebrate. His 16th. The 17th year of his life began the night of this date. We were together, his family, he, and I along with my sister. He cut the cake giving away the first piece of it to me along with the dimply smile that can't find a way out of my world. I gave him a hug before drenching him with the paste of icing and coke. It lasted as long as we enjoyed. Later that night when the parents had fallen asleep, he sneaked in from my balcony. We lied on my bed watching TV and eating the little cake I made him for. We danced a little, till my sister fell asleep. As the morning sun seemed almost visible along the horizon I lied on his arms swinging in the swing. He said that this would be our every year story. Every birthday we'd wait for the sun to rise. With that he moved a little closer, closed his lips within mine and pulled me a little closer along the neck. That was the last birthday of him we celebrated ever.

 12th January 2010 he saw the last rising sun. There were no 20th January's since then. 

Comments

  1. If this is true...Then I have nothing more to say...May be time will heal...or may be this is god's way of showing that there is never a happy ending...
    Love
    Girl with the Quixote Curse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like there isn't anything in this world I would say that will make any difference

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...Such happenings are sad. We don't forget, we never can but all that we can do is to learn to live with it. Last year, I had been holding the hands of my dying grandmother who passed away 24 hours before my birthday. Up to this day, I don't know what to make of it. She had been suffering from illness for quite sometime and that day she could finally rest in peace. I have never enjoyed celebrating my birthday and now I don't think that I would want to celebrate anyways.
    I somewhat understand how you might feel.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He lived a life more fullfilling than most can dream about. And he relished and left behind a love people have stopped dreaming about.

    Like i said last time, treasure it and hide it away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing lasts forever, no matter how much me want it too.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com


    ReplyDelete
  6. sad...such strong memories of those last times....makes me wonder what it was that happened to him....i like that there is no january20th since...that is strong...enough to wipe out the day...thanks for dropping in today

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am speechless and stunned...
    still wondering why God takes away our loved ones away from us
    leaving us with mere memories

    ReplyDelete
  8. You think you're weak but to be able to even live everyday with the loss, I think you are very strong. I hope you find peace soon.

    ✗ℴ ♡

    +To Me It Matters+

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot Fathom the intensity of the pain you are in. I can only hope you find peace soon.

    ✗ℴ ♡

    +To Me It Matters+

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry for the loss of such a beautiful part of your life. I have no words for this post, I wish I could give you a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm choked literally. Be sure, wherever he is, he is smiling down upon you and wishing you all the happiness in the world. He never wanted to see you in pain or sad anyway, put your best smile on and hold onto it forever for he is still looking after you as an angel! :)

    Stay blessed sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  12. treasure the memories, shed your tears, sending you loving thoughts and comfort...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know who this is about...but this was a beautiful tribute. It filled me with emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This got me into tears, really.
    I know you dont want to hear it, but Im really sorry for your loss.
    I also have a best friend like had, and he means the world to me. I cant really imagine my life without him, in it.
    Take care xx
    Lots of love,
    Hopelessly Hopeful
    http://hopeihadasuperexcitingsecretlife.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  15. love and friendship if true leaves a lasting stigma...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can feel each of the word you just said, or I might say wrote, I feel bad. I can feel how special he was to you and loosing him seems like you lost a part of you, which is really irreplaceable. I feel sorry, but I think he would always want you to be happy. Just cherish the memories, maybe he just had this small part in life's stage. Always remember things happen for reason!

    ReplyDelete
  17. harder to read. sad one. really felt bad reading the end!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This gave me chills reading...so very sad. Makes me wonder what ended everything here for your poor friend. Blessings to you...May happiness greet you once again, I'm sure your friend would have wanted that.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, that breaks my heart. Such a good and lovely friend. You have me wondering why. What breaks a life?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can feel each and every word of it!
    it was wonderful...with the pinch of pain!
    I will remember you and your friend in my prayers! :')

    ReplyDelete
  21. touching story
    no words to say beautifully written

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are pretty good and blunt in ur own way -u knw!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nothing can compensate for the loss you've suffered; words, the least. I won't try to console you. All I can say is that this moved me deeply and that I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats i've nominated you for the Liebster Blog award , please follow this link to my blog for more details : http://reina2000.blogspot.com/2013/01/i-got-nominated-for-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. By the end of the post I was sincerely hoping it was fiction. Apparently it isn't. I don't know what to say. I can only offer a hug. A virtual one at that. :l

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment